When a desire to make something enters my mind it never leaves. It brings all its baggage in, settles down, and never leaves. Sure, I might forget about it for a while as that desire takes a nap, but as soon as that idea or desire is stirred again it won’t leave me alone until it goes back to sleep. And I am left with a never ending cycle of constantly sleeping or waking desires to bake or cook.
These spiced lentil tacos were one of these desires. They were on my “to cook” list for about a good five months before I finally got to making them. And boy are these a great vegetarian substitute for tacos. Personally I find taco seasoning so overpowering that it doesn’t really matter what you flavor it with because it ends up tasting like… well, it ends up tasting like taco filling. The lentils hold up nicely to cooking and have good texture so they’re perfect for tacos. Throw on some cheese, greek yogurt, and cilantro and no one will know the difference.
Spiced Lentil Tacos from Epicurious
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (2.25 ounce) taco seasoning – used the one from Trader Joe’s and it was quite spicy.
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream – I used nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped (use half for less heat)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 8 taco shells
- 1 1/4 cups shredded lettuce – I was too lazy and we didn’t have lettuce.
- 1 cup chopped tomato – again, lazy.
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar – or any kind of cheese you prefer. I used a shredded mexican blend.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, garlic and salt until onion begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook until spices are fragrant and lentils are dry, about 1 minute.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Mix sour cream, chile and adobo sauce in a bowl.
- Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Mash with a rubber spatula. Spoon 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons sour cream mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.