I wonder how chicken parmesan must feel all cramped up like that. It must miss the days of roaming free as a chicken tender with it’s friend pasta. But yet here it is, in burger form. What will those brilliant people at bon appetit come up with next – a chicken parmesan sandwich? Wait? What?! Those already exist! Wow, I’m behind on my things to cook list.
Yes, these really are as delicious as chicken parm, but in my case as delicious as turkey parm because I couldn’t find ground chicken. Ground poultry is ground poultry, right? And a delicious idea, such as chicken parm is delicious served free range with a side of pasta or captured between two slices of bread, right?
Chicken (Turkey) Parmesan Burgers from Epicurious
- 10 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread (4 inches in diameter); 8 slices toasted, 2 slices (crust removed) diced – I made my own spelt olive bread from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes A Day.
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided, plus 12 large basil leaves
- 3/4 cup purchased refrigerated marinara sauce
- 12 ounces ground chicken (white meat) – I only had turkeys in my backyard the day I made these so that’s what I used
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 large radicchio leaves – I was too lazy to buy an entire head just for 4 leaves, so I didn’t use this.
- Blend diced bread and Parmesan in processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to pie dish; mix in 2 tablespoons minced basil.
- Mix marinara and 2 tablespoons basil in small saucepan. Transfer 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce to large bowl. Add chicken, 1/2 tablespoon oil, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with pepper; blend. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties; coat with crumbs. Heat sauce over low heat.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until bottoms are crusty, 4 minutes. Turn patties over; top with cheese. Cook 3 minutes. Cover; cook until cooked through and cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Assemble burgers with bread, radicchio, basil leaves, and warm marinara.